Thursday, September 2, 2010

New Painting Class



I started a new painting class this week.  The instructor told me beforehand that she would have me paint a pear so that she could show me how she teaches, and so she can see where I am as a student.  I took several canvas panels that I had toned with burnt sienna.  She asked me if I had one that wasn't toned, because she uses a different method.  Luckily I had one.

She had me use transparent umber and transparent burn sienna to make an underpainting and then lift off paint to make the lighter areas.   Her teaching method involves making an underpainting for every painting. This is unlike any teaching I've ever had.  I hope I have the patience!

8" X 10" oil on canvas panel
(Click on painting to view larger.)

1 comment:

  1. Good luck! This is a very nice pear. It doesn't stand out as much as the peaches, so the pear seems different than the direction you were going with complements. I guess that after a few paintings, you'll know more if you're just used to your usual method, or it's what you really like best.

    ReplyDelete