Tuesday, June 4, 2013

October on the Guadalupe River



12 X 16 Oil on canvas 
(Click on painting to view larger) 

Last October my daughter and I painted at a festival at a winery in Comfort Texas.  We drove on narrow country roads up and down hills through the countryside.  We crossed a small bridge over the Guadalupe River, and I asked my husband to stop so I could take some pictures of the river from the bridge.  This is painted using one of those photos as a reference.  

October in Central Texas doesn't have the spectacular colors of fall.  The live oaks, which are one of the primary trees in this area, don't lose their leaves until the spring.  They stay green all winter.  We have do have some subtle color changes, with an occasional tree or shrub glowing with bright colors.  

Thanks for stopping by.  

11 comments:

  1. The advantage of leaves staying green all winter, is that it helps to mix better greens, right? This is a lovely painting, with beautiful greens!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia, this is so beautiful and serene. I can see the depth and variety in the understory and it makes me want to explore the scene. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful Virginia. Lovely greens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love all of your landscapes! So free and filled with contrast. Thanks for all of your sweet comments on my blog....always appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful painting- gorgeous reflections in the water!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful painting and the water oh so nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spectacular reflections in the water from the trees and clouds...beautifully painted, Virginia!! And LOVE your greens...wonderful work as always!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is an amazing painting, Virginia! I thought I already commented on this.! I love the colors on this landscape and the perfect reflections in the water from the trees and clouds...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting, Virginia!!! You really captured the depth and sense of space and peacefulness of the scene. I've been away from my blog and everyone else's for so long, I didn't notice I had a comment from you until a few days ago . . . thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just got an email from the Hunt Gallery—group show starting July 20, no opening reception, and up through the summer. Hope you'll make it into the "city." Let me know if you can ahead of time and maybe we can meet for coffee or lunch?

    ReplyDelete