Friday, September 3, 2010

Clementines and coffe mug



I fell in love with this little mug in a thrift shop.  It has orange undertones, and a shiny reflective glaze.  I like how the little oranges reflect on the surface of the mug, and the blue background is reflected in the handle.

My new painting instructor told me she uses Naples Yellow to lighten paint, rather than white.  I tried that with the oranges, and I liked the effect.

8" X 10" oil on canvas panel
(Click on painting to view larger.)

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful painting! I really like the reflection of the oranges. And that's a good tip with the Naples Yellow, I've heard of another artist that does that for skin tones.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog too! It's nice to 'meet' you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like those reflections as well. Very nice Virginia!

    ReplyDelete