Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Lemons and blue bowl



This was fun.  I painted this yesterday afternoon and decided it was finished.  No going back and "fixing" it.   This is a comfortable size for me for a daily painting.

I am learning on these paintings that getting values right is my biggest challenge.  I have a hard time getting the darkest values--I keep thinking "a lemon can't be that dark".  But when I stand back from the easel I see that I haven't made enough contrast between the lights and the darks.

(click on the picture to view larger)

8" X 10" oil on canvas panel

6 comments:

  1. Love the colors in this piece. I like that you do studies of certain subjects, that is a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for visiting and leaving a comment, Barbara. I have so much to learn, i think practicing over an over is a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Virginia: You keep getting better! I like the off center placement and general colors very much. ...and I agree 8x10 & 8x8 are my comfort zone sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your encouragement, Diane!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Virginia,

    I just "met" you on my blog. Thanks so much for posting a comment. I appreciate the accolades so much! Your paintings remind me of my friend Janet Ramble's (www.janetramble.blogspot.com) Fresh and colorful and very appealing.

    ReplyDelete