Sunday, April 3, 2011

Pear study




I wanted to try something different with the background, here.  I wasn't able to achieve what was in my head, but I like this blue and yellow together.  





This is a picture of my latest purchase.  I'm always buying something that I "need" for painting--new brushes, new books, etc.  This is a tabletop lighting studio.  It's a white nylon box, and came with two spotlights that I shine on the sides of the box.  The fabric diffuses the light, so I don't have the problem with glare that I have with a flash.  There's enough light that the flash on the camera doesn't even go off.   It's 16 inches square, so it won't work for large canvases, but it's great for daily painting.  Now I don't have to wait for a sunny day.  It was $45 on Ebay. 

This wasn't even my own idea, but now I can't remember who recommended it to me!  My apologies that I can't give the credit where credit is due.  

12 comments:

  1. You did a fantastic job, and I like this background. Sometimes we can't execute what's in our heads, but that's when "happy accidents" happen, right? I have the same photo box . . . but I struggle with trying to find the right light balance!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Virginia, Wonderful painting of the pear and the colors are beautiful together. I am glad you got one of the photo cubes. They are wonderful. Makes life so easy:)Take care!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Virginia! Love your pear, great form, nice shadow and light. Thanks for posting the table top light box. I really to get me one of those...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Il est très intéressant de visiter la poire sous un autre angle... et l'association de vos couleurs est judicieuse. Gros bisous et merci beaucoup pour votre gentil commentaire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like this "steady" tail, it gives the character to the pear!

    ReplyDelete
  6. The blues in the background works really well with the yellows in the pear.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know if it was intentional but the yellow/violet is the perfect compliment and makes the painting.
    I love the 'box'. Genius!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice colors. The blue just sets off the pear. Love pear paintings.

    ReplyDelete
  9. How are you Virginia....The background color is beautiful...and the table top light is new to me...very good idea and a best purchase....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad you posted a picture of how you use your photo tent. I recently got one from Amazon, but it did not have instructions. I have been trying different positions for the lights, but not what you have here. Thanks for the help!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for visiting, Tempy. I hope yours works out for you!

    ReplyDelete